Iran: flood report goes up to 76 dead

The floods that have hit Iran for nearly a month have left 76 dead and caused damage to about 2 billion euros, according to new official estimates released Sunday while the east of the country remains on alert.

“The toll has risen to 76 deaths with the deaths of five people in the floods in Khuzestan province and another in the province of Ilam,” said in a statement posted on the website of the national forensic institute.

Located in the Southwest, Khuzestan and Ilam are the last provinces to have been struck by the floods caused by the torrential rains that hit Iran since March 19th.

These storms forced the authorities to evacuate a total of several hundred thousand people.

Saturday, new rains fell on the east of the country, largely desert. The flood alert remained in effect Sunday in these areas.

Quoted by the official Irna news agency, Interior Minister Abdol Rahmani Fazli told the parliament on Sunday that 25 of the country's 31 provinces have been affected by the floods and that the damage was between 300,000 and 350,000 billion rials. Iran (between 1.93 and 2.25 billion euros at the free market rate).

In the same flood-related session, Minister of Transport and Urban Development Mohammad Eslami told MPs that “more than 14,000 kilometers of roads” had been damaged and “725 bridges […] totally destroyed. “

The agricultural sector has also been hit hard.

According to the head of national meteorology, Sahar Tajbakhch, the floods are due to “climate change and global warming”, and do not necessarily mean the end of the chronic drought that is affecting Iran, according to the semi-official news agency. official Isna.

Several countries have sent material aid to Iran to help it deal with the scourge.

The French embassy in Tehran said on Saturday that it gave the Iranian Red Crescent “114 motor pumps and 210 tents” to help it cope with the situation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *